Melissa Kaylene: just me and the radio
Image Map

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

just me and the radio


Last night I did something I don't do very often anymore - I sat there and listened to late night radio - the station that has a mix of everything contemporary from the 1980's to today.

And I got nostalgic.

I sat there sipping on a glass of Riesling while painting my nails and I recalled being 12 years old, having one of the many sleepovers my sister and I had at our best friends house, before all preteens had their own smart phones and didn't have access to the internet everywhere we turned. Heck we didn't even have cable. We just had our radio. We'd stay up until 5 or even 6 am laughing and chatting about who-knows-what.

Perhaps it's because this is the last summer of my 20's, or maybe it's because Anika will be in middle school this fall - whatever it is, it's bringing my own childhood memories to me. I don't often recall things of the past as I am a person who tends to live in the moment, day to day - with a few dreams of the future occasionally. But when I think about these childhood memories I kind of want to go back for a day and live it, just one more time. Those years went by far to quick.

Life's too short.

Tomorrow we will be driving down the Oregon coast to visit my friend that I grew up with. My friend I've known since I was 5 years old. We'll camp on her property over the 4th of July holiday. 

I'm looking forward to making more late night radio memories with her.

~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment