Melissa Kaylene: 7 Things To Do In Seattle
Image Map

Sunday, April 13, 2014

7 Things To Do In Seattle

7 things to do in Seattle

First off, I'm really sad to say that I've only visited this amazing city twice now, and I only live four hours away, but then again I only began exploring Portland recently too. Both times I have gone to Seattle it has been a quick whirlwind trip with never enough time to check everything off of my 'must-do' list...but slowly I'll get there. 

Since I began writing this blog my goal was to celebrate life - whether that is through family events, traveling adventures, or mouthwatering meals. Life is meant to be lived and explored, so I encourage you to explore your own town if you can travel, cook some amazing meals of your own if you can't afford to go out, and have fun. 

Here are the top seven things that I had on my list to cross off in Seattle - if you know the city and have other suggestions I'd love your feedback in the comments. 


1. The Space Needle - This was the first thing I had to do, because The Space Needle is pretty much synonymous with Seattle, isn't it? It's kind of spendy, and we had to wait in line for quite a while - but the views were gorgeous. If you have lots of time and money I'd suggest eating dinner or lunch at the top. I personally won't take my kids until they are a little bit older, but that's just me. Oh, and I made sure I went on a sunny day :)


2.  Pike Place Market - The Pike Place Fish Market is a fabulous gem in Seattle. On a sunny day you can overlook the water and walk along the many little shops where you will find something that you just can't live without. I saw some of the most vibrant colors at the market - the biggest variety of flowers and perfectly displayed fruit and vegetables. To see more pictures you can look at my visit to the market HERE.


3. Ride The Ducks: If you want to be a real tourist I've hear the Ride The Ducks tour is the way to go! It's a 90 minute tour of the city that looks like a fun time for the whole family, and for the last 30 minutes of the tour your drive off into the water! I think my kids would definitely get a kick out of this.

4. Underground Tour: I haven't been on the Underground Tour yet, so I'm not all sure that it would live up to everyone's expectations. I went to the underground tour in Pendleton, Oregon many years ago and it was a fun thing to do...once. It's probably a great way to learn some of Seattle's history, and one of those things to go and check out.

5. Tom Douglas Restaurant: I don't know how I've managed to go to Seattle and NOT visit a Tom Douglas restaurant! He is pretty much the king of restaurateurs in Seattle and has some amazing places to feast at like the Dahlia Lounge and Lola restaurant. I was lucky enough to attend a cooking presentation with Tom Douglas last fall from the Macy's Culinary Council and had a fabulous time learning tips from him though! Next time I will go to one of his restaurants!


6. Seattle Great Wheel- There is nothing more nostalgic that riding a Ferris Wheel. It brings back fond memories of childhood summers when times were simpler and days were longer. The Seattle Great Wheel sits right along the bay and is open year round. According to its website it is the largest observation wheel on the west coast, standing 175 feet tall. This too is one thing that I still need to cross off my Seattle bucket list!

7. The Original Starbucks- Low and behold, the one that started it all. The original Starbucks is located in the Pike Place Market in the heart of Seattle. I have yet to step inside of the building that became the largest coffee sensation to date, but I did stroll past it last time I was up there (the line was too long!)  At least stand in front and get a selfie in front of the one and only. :)



Any other Seattle suggestions? I'd love to hear them!
~Melissa

11 comments:

  1. My husband is taking a work trip to Redmond this week, and I wish I were going with him. I miss Seattle! Pike Place Market brings back such fun memories of the last trip we took there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should also take the monorail to and from Seattle Center!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With kids especially, the Seattle Science Center at the World Fair grounds is a TON of fun...even if you're not a kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun list! I still want to do the Portland underground tour sometime, too!!

    Last time I was at Pike Place market it was fun but so so busy! So many cool vendors, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the Chihuly Museum- I thought I might spend an hour or so there, but ended up spending a few because it was a photographer's dream with all the colors and light, even for me as an amateur. I've been to many Tom Douglas restaurants and they are all great, particularly starting out with one of his biscuits at Serious Biscuit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes to the Tom Douglas restaurants! We love them. Also: the Pacific Science Center. Old buildings across from the Space Needle with SO many awesome interactive exhibits for the kids! We spent so much time there on our last visit. And, the waterfront. Lots of fun little shops and things to do on the waterfront.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever been to The Center for Wooden Boats? http://cwb.org/ It is pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are a few things on this list I haven't tried yet... I will have to mark this for the next time I go back! I love so much about Seattle that it is hard to decide what I want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been back to Seattle since I was twelve years old...a long time! These ideas look great. I remember some of them, but they would all be fun things to do when visiting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've never been to seattle, but i'd certainly like to go. thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seattle is such a fantastic city!!! Not as great as Portland though ;), but I may be biased on that! :)

    ReplyDelete