Melissa Kaylene: Oh New Year; New Year.
Image Map

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Oh New Year; New Year.

Well, if there is one thing you can say about life, its that it is always changing. Yesterday I talked a little about the phrase carpe diem (seize the day).
I clicked publish on the post, and went to get dressed to go to Vancouver
to see Grandpa Howern one more time.
 
Then I glanced down at my phone and saw a missed call and voicemail.
 
We were too late.
 
Bill Howern died the night before, the same time I was working night shift. He died with his wife by his side, and in his sleep.
 
I'm glad his pain is gone, but it hurts saying goodbye. I have almost more sorrow for Mary, his wife. I'm not sure the exact number of years they were married...but lets just say it was over 40, maybe even 50. I can't even imagine the emptiness she must feel right now. He literally was her other half.
 
This all just reiterates carpe diem. We need to not let time pass us by.
We chose not to tell the kids last night; we didn't want to ruin their fun. We had pizza, played Yahtzee, and let the kids stay up as long as their eyes would let them...Noah made it until 11, Emma 11:45, and Anika? Oh about 12:01. She did it. Finally saw the ball drop.
It would have been nice to go out and have fun like many people do...but I just have to remind myself that these days shall pass, and then I'll yearn for them back. Deep breath.
 
Carpe Diem.
 
~Melissa
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment